View topic - Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011)

Reply to topic
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011)

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011)
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011) Reply with quote

I love this quote from British Metal Journalist (metal hammer, Kerrang) Dom Lawson's about Metallica:

Quote:
They were so much better back then and played every last riff with utmost conviction and belief.

Utmost conviction and belief
Do you think most metal records that are released today are played with utmost conviction and belief??
Personally I don't.
I just don't hear it.

The young bands are all too busy trying to find an audience by fitting in the established genres: metalcore, deathcore, mathcore etc.. and the established bands are just trying to milk their legacy by regurgitating the past to keep their fans happy.

Recently i had the pleasant surprise to listen to a record, that is played with the most conviction and belief i have heard in a looong time: Autopsy's Macabre Eternal

After listening to the reunited legendary doom-death-grind metal legends new album, I get the feeling that the band are not interested in trends, they are not interested fitting a particular style of metal, they are not interested in clean production sounds, and i even doubt they give a shit as to whether *anyone* likes the record or not.
That is what makes it great.

My feelings about band were confirmed after reading this interview with Autopsy's drummer and *singer* Chris Reifert where he talks about his lack of interest of going "death metal" and his love of lo-fi sound.
Chris also happens to be a fan of Voivod, something he mentions in the interview!

The magic in Macabre Eternal happens because of Chris Reifert singing with the conviction of a man possessed, sounding like Lemmy on meth, your favorite death metal growler being impaled, or an angry mental patient, all in the same song.
When you hear Chris singing "Won't kill you, but you'll wish you were dead. Keep you as my dirty gore whore instead", you will believe *every* word.

If only half of all deathcore kiddies would put this much effort and balls into their singing..

Autopsy's music defies easy description.. think Sodom circa "In the Sign of Evil", jamming early grind and doom songs with Possessed!

Macabre Eternal is an awesome record, it is fun to listen to, it is unpretentious and heavy as hell, the way metal used to be, before all bands had facebook pages, when metal was an underground phenomenon, before most bands went corporate and everyone started to focus on making money.

This is one my favorite albums of 2011.

Last edited by yuri on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (2011)

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: