View topic - Opeth - Heritage (2011)

Reply to topic
Opeth - Heritage (2011)

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Opeth - Heritage (2011)
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Opeth - Heritage (2011) Reply with quote

What happens when your favorite Progressive-Death-Metal band decides to abandon ALL Death Metal elements and go Retro-Prog-Rock?

The idea of Opeth going prog-rock sounds exciting on paper.. but on record, the band seems to have lost all sense of excitement and innovation. Gone with the death metal growling and guitars are all things that made Opeth great.. and what is left sounds like a third-rate version of Deep Purple / Uriah Heep / Jethro Tull.
Opeth sounds castrated, lost for ideas, confused.

It takes a lot more than a few riffs in 7/8, some mellotrons and B3 Organ riffs to make interesting prog-rock music. Countless bands tried to imitate the masters in the 70s and very few succeeded.

There are a few interesting moments in Heritage.. very few.. the rest is awash in reverb drenched boredom.
There is nothing innovative about Heritage, nothing i haven't heard songwriting-wise or performing-wise before.
What is the point of listening to Opeth sounding like Deep Purple at its worse?

If i want to listen to prog rock, i just play my favorite Camel, Uriah Heep and Yes albums..
Let's face it, for all their Death Metal heroism, Opeth will never have the technical facility of say.. Yes, or the songwriting skills of Deep Purple mk ii.

I am not against bands experimenting and mixing different styles of music.. i am just against experiments gone bad..
bands regurgitating and ripping off the past endlessly.

I would rather listen to an album of Opeth doing their favorite prog-rock covers, than playing their own bad version of prog-rock-wanna-be songs.

Let's hope Opeth are finished with their little prog-rock experiment and return to what they do best: Prog-rock-influenced-DEATH-METAL!

Last edited by yuri on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is the obligatory hilarious Hitler Reacts to the New Opeth Album video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paFSKfPaz30
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Opeth - Heritage (2011)

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: