View topic - THE MUFFS – REALLY REALLY HAPPY

Reply to topic
THE MUFFS – REALLY REALLY HAPPY

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » THE MUFFS – REALLY REALLY HAPPY
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: THE MUFFS – REALLY REALLY HAPPY Reply with quote

THE MUFFS – REALLY REALLY HAPPY (FIVE FOOT TWO RECORDS)

I’ve been a fan of The Muffs since I first heard their self-titled debut album way back in 1993, a hybrid sound of early Beatles meets The Kinks with female vocals immediately catching my ear. That would be down to main woman Kim Shattuck, a talented (not to mention beautiful) musician/song writer/vocalist who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Debbie Harry, Belinda Carlisle and Chrissie Hynde.
Where earlier albums were bratty, punk rock affairs, (with Shattuck screaming her lungs out more so than singing) nowadays The Muffs, completed with Ronnie Barnett on bass and Roy McDonald on drums, are slightly restrained. ‘Really Really Happy’, their 5th studio album, is stuffed full of sugar-coated pop-punk tunes that are highly addictive and a pleasure to lose yourself in. One listen of Shattuck's gorgeous voice on the seductive ‘Slow’ is enough to wash away any woes you may have, while the sing-along chorus to ‘The Whole World’ is too tempting to resist. And tell me you didn’t shake your head 50’s style when listening to the ‘Ooh ooh ooh ooh -ooh ooh ooh -ooh ooh ooh Ladidadi ladidadi’ on ‘My Lucky Day’ – it may look like a form of code written as such, but once you hear it the tune will bounce around your head for days.
Definitely not Metal, and probably not Punk Rock ala The Distillers, nevertheless The Muffs is an incredibly talented band with an incredibly talented woman who play sumptuous songs that, shock horror, you may just enjoy.

Very Happy

Bacteria13.

http://www.the-muffs.com/
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » THE MUFFS – REALLY REALLY HAPPY

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: