View topic - CRISIS – LIKE SHEEP LED TO SLAUGHTER

Reply to topic
CRISIS – LIKE SHEEP LED TO SLAUGHTER

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » CRISIS – LIKE SHEEP LED TO SLAUGHTER
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: CRISIS – LIKE SHEEP LED TO SLAUGHTER Reply with quote

CRISIS – LIKE SHEEP LED TO SLAUGHTER (THE END RECORDS)

There are quite a few female fronted Metal bands out there today, from Nightwish to Otep to Arch Enemy. Crisis also boasts a female howler, in the shape of the dreadlocked Karyn Crisis, and a formidable figure she is too. Lyricist, vocalist, artist, she is no gum-chewing Rock Star © with one eye on royalties. “For me,” she said in a recent interview, “Crisis’ writing has always dealt with the apocalyptic, the dirty, yucky stuff. When this album came around, those ideas were still there, but I was formulating them more like weapons again, Crisis-style – pointing the finger at my enemies, and not just my enemies but those of a lot of other people who are suffering.”
Keeping with the theme of the album’s title, Like sheep … is the musical equivalent of a Judas goat, something that will lead you to your doom on the pretence of safety. Such tracks held within are devastating, from the growling torment of A Graveyard for Bitches to the deceivingly quiet choir-like chorus of Rats in a Maze, to the album’s highlight, Corpus Apocalypse, where Karyn shows off her incredible vocal range. She can sing as sweetly as your baby sister before releasing a deep-throated roar, sounding like Soulfly’s Max Cavalera at times.
Musically, think early hardcore with dabs of Neurosis at their most psychotic, fronted by a woman of incredible presence spitting a venomous diatribe. It’s by no means an immediate listen, but stick with it and you’ll be rewarded with an album brimming with immense power and depth.

Smile

Bacteria13.

Last edited by Bacteria13 on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact the Karin Crisis (whose band Crisis once toured with Eric-era-Voivod) can go from a convincing Death Metal roar to a Bjork-like female singing voice all within one song.

She has a lot of potential, her band is competent, but they need to work on the production and songwriting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » CRISIS – LIKE SHEEP LED TO SLAUGHTER

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: