View topic - SLAYER – SOUNDTRACK TO THE APOCALYPSE

Reply to topic
SLAYER – SOUNDTRACK TO THE APOCALYPSE

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » SLAYER – SOUNDTRACK TO THE APOCALYPSE
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: SLAYER – SOUNDTRACK TO THE APOCALYPSE Reply with quote

SLAYER – SOUNDTRACK TO THE APOCALYPSE (AMERICAN RECORDINGS)

After years of promises and reassurances the Slayer box-set finally saw the light of day at the end of last year. Was it worth the wait? Kinda.
If, like me, you were put off by the extortionist price of the ultra-fancy box-set and got the cheaper, simpler version then you would have gotten a 4-disc set, three of those CDs of music, the other a DVD. The first two discs are the ‘best of’ from Slayer’s American/Def Jam albums, so there’s no Metal Blade ‘Hell Awaits’ or ‘Show No Mercy’ tracks here. Live tracks yes, but no originals. There are a couple of rare, Japanese only tracks at the end of disc two, such as ‘Unguarded Instinct’ and ‘Wicked’, as well as the blistering Ice-T collaboration ‘Disorder’, but since these tracks, apart from ‘Disorder’, are not regarded as Slayer classics there’s nothing worth writing home about here.
Things pick up on disc three, with ‘shit we’ve never heard’, such as home recordings, studio rough mixes and live stuff, as well as the ultra rare ‘Ice Titan’ from way back in 1983. All very well and good.
But it’s the DVD, ‘shit we’ve never seen’, that’s almost worth the price of this box-set alone, with 17 live and other Slayer-moments for your approval. Some tasty numbers here too – early live songs such as ‘Praise of Death’ and ‘Aggressive Perfector’ to name but two – as well as brief interviews and Slayer collecting the Kerrang! Award for ‘Heaviest band in the world’. It would have been nice if they had included their past videos here, as they are just as ultra-rare and unseen by the average Slayer fan as Jeff Hanneman’s home recordings.
The 60-plus page booklet is a nice addition, full of photos and quotes and other facts and figures of interest to the Slayer fanatic, and I guess you’d have to be a fanatic to get this. It’s by no means essential, but if, like me, you love your Slayer, then you already have it.
Doesn’t mean I’m gonna buy those Kerry King sneakers this year, though …

Smile for the DVD, Confused for the CDs

Bacteria13.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » SLAYER – SOUNDTRACK TO THE APOCALYPSE

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: