View topic - 07-The Outer Limits

Reply to topic
07-The Outer Limits

voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 07-The Outer Limits
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: 07-The Outer Limits Reply with quote

Post your Outer Limits reviews here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
nuclear infusion
Helldriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this album out of print??? Why does MCA suck so much??? The digital drum tracks on this recording are very crisp. "Jack Luminous" may as well have been released as an EP. I can't think of anything I dislike about this album except for the fact it is hard to find, and whenever I do find a copy (CD format) the artwork is all bent up.
angelrat
Helldriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Outer Limits' was the first album I ever bought by this band. Therefore it has a special place in my heart. I played it at my work today. I got only some comments once: 'How can you listen to this noise at 9 o'clock in the morning?'

Noise? NOISE? This is one of the most gentle albums 'Vod ever made. It's not far away from being the perfect pop album (the first 6 traxxx at least). All this including another great Pink Floyd cover, the stunning 'Lost Machine' and the classic opener 'Fix My Heart'.

Next up there is the amazing 'Jack Luminous'. No words can describe this (at least mine can't). Truly great epic masterpiece. King Crimson, VDGG, Gong (they stole a riff!), Magma, Soft Machine... Voivod owes to them all (they built something great on top).

There seemed to be 2 other songs after that too. Well...they're nice. I think...

[This message has been edited by angelrat (edited October 24, 2002).]
Québécois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 07-The Outer Limits Reply with quote

yuri wrote:
Post your Outer Limits reviews here

Là je décroche.
Ciao !!!
Fin de mon lien avec Voïvod.
J'ai écouté Negatron pour voir...et puis ça a confirmé mon désir de qutter à jamais...

Bye !!
code

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Outer Limits is probably my favorite Voivod record. The first time I listened to it I just got totally amazed. It was so damn nice to hear Voivod had gone back to the more heavier sound after Angel Rat. I love the Sci-Fi atmosphere, I love the rock, groovy sound and I love the production. Every song is unique in a way. It has it all. The mysterious, beautiful Le Point Noir, the groovy Moonbeam Rider, the heavy Lost Machine, the rocky Wrong Way Street and the sci-fi masterpiece Jack Luminous. I still listen to this record nearly once a day and I have owned it for 11 years. That says it all.

Highlights: All songs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Seeate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my initial review of The Outer Limits I pretty much bagged most of the album. I've been listening to the cd again recently and have a much more positive opinion of it now.
TOL dosn't conform to the 'traditional' Viovod concept that older fans especially have come to expect from albums like Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross and Nothingface for example. TOL is more like a pop culture take on the sci fi serial. The packaging itself alludes to this with the very cool 3d cartoon series of pictures by Away. As such the songs and lyrics don't have the same abstract allusions of say Nothingface or Dimension Hatross - TOL is on the whole more light hearted and dare I say it 'fun'.
Piggy's guitar work is brilliant. Intricate and heavy at times, grooving and almost funky at others as code mentioned. Away of course applies the usual insane beats to keep up with the riffage.

Stand out tracks for me are Lost Machine and the epic 17 minute Jack Luminous. I have these 2 tracks on a promotional see through 12" .. great stuff.
There is an excellent cover of Pink Floyd's Nile Song as well.

I like this album more than I did the previous album Angel Rat. Better production, heavier songs and more sci fi Voivod pshychedalia to be had!
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 07-The Outer Limits

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: