View topic - HATE ETERNAL – FURY & FLAMES

Reply to topic
HATE ETERNAL – FURY & FLAMES

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » HATE ETERNAL – FURY & FLAMES
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: HATE ETERNAL – FURY & FLAMES Reply with quote

HATE ETERNAL – FURY & FLAMES

(Metal Blade)

Whilst not a fan of 2005’s I, Monarch I was curious to see where Hate Eternal main man/death metal producer to-know Eric Rutan was going to take HE. What put me off that release, and, it must be said, a few of his works on other DM albums, was the production. I find his sound to be very bland, with little or no bite. To these ears the last Cannibal Corpse and Goatwhore albums (which he produced) sound lifeless, samey affairs, and I can’t listen to them without shaking my head in bewilderment before knocking them off. So, with some anticipation, I slipped Fury & Flames into the stereo …
The first thing to hit you when you press play is a sheer wall of noise. It’s intense, literally knocking you senseless, and will take the unprepared a second or two to get their bearings. The production is – wow. A barricade of sound, thick and dense; there’s a menacing aura of Doom clouding this audio barrage. The speed is phenomenal, inhuman at times, and perhaps, if there’s criticism to be made, the battering is relentless. With some releases speed is the be-all-and-end-all, but I haven’t heard an album where sheer speed alone is cause for discomfort.
For F&F, Rutan drafted in for bass duties Cannibal Corpse’s Alex Webster, and I doubt if Mr. Webster has worked as hard as this in a long, long time. On drums is one Jade Simonetto, a kid who looks like Frodo Baggins, but this guy’s drumming abilities is jaw-dropping. His will be a rising star to watch, mark my words.

To sum up, well, what else is there to say? In all my CD collection this is probably one of the most brutal (bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-tal) death metal albums I own, and I own a lot. I have read other reviews where my peers have panned this album, calling it sloppy and flawed. To quote Bill Hicks; “You’re wrong!”

Fury & Flames destroys. Period.

Jade Simonetto drum solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDj-FWJXRRQ&feature=related

Bacteria13.
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great review..

here is an interesting note on Hate Eternal's former drummer Derek Roddy who plays those insane bass drum patters with ONE foot!

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Derek_Roddy.html

Here is a video of Derek playing the same song jade is playing on his video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TPWRpkMX00&feature=related

check out the inhuman right foot on this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7kQvyPXEQc&NR=1
Helldriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this album for a few months now and I cant really get into it..
the production is the problem i think (and the crappy front cover!)..its Rutans standard digital recording but i think its too messy..too much going on to pick up the vibe of the song..
I loved the previous releases but maybe I'll have another listen and see if it grabs me..
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » HATE ETERNAL – FURY & FLAMES

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: