View topic - DEICIDE – TILL DEATH DO US PART

Reply to topic
DEICIDE – TILL DEATH DO US PART

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » DEICIDE – TILL DEATH DO US PART
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: DEICIDE – TILL DEATH DO US PART Reply with quote

DEICIDE – TILL DEATH DO US PART

(Earache)

Say what you will, but you gotta love Deicide. Has there ever been a band more scrutinized, more loved and loathed than this Florida death metal outfit? From shooting squirrels to bomb threats to branding inverted crosses into the forehead of their front man to their drummer being arrested on suspicion of bank robbery, their career has been the real life Spinal Tap, and I await the film any day now.
Onto this album, number 9, and second minus original Hoffman brothers. Nothing much has changed formula wise since 2006’s Stench of Redemption, where Messers Benton and Asheim drafted in the services of former Cannibal Corpse shredder Jack Owen and ex-Iced Earth guitarist Ralph Santolla (now with Obituary). That album took a more melodic direction than previous efforts, and there’s no great change here, either. The songs are still fast, Benton’s vocals still as animalistic as ever (even more so, now that he’s sober) and Steve Asheim proves yet again what an incredible drummer he is. The solos are pleasing to the ears, and paradoxically go hoof-in-hoof with the brutally fast DM on offer.
There seems to be an absence of the horned one this time round, Benton focusing all his energies on two bitter divorces he went through in the past few years – see the title track, Not As Long As We Both Shall Live and Hate of All Hatreds for enlightening insights. Whatever makes an angry album, I suppose.

While not as immediate as Stench … (there was a conscious decision to tone down the melody) it’s still a bloody great album, and worth any metalhead’s time, no matter which genre you prefer.

Bacteria13.

Last edited by Bacteria13 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyromusic.net's Spiritech recently caught up with DEICIDE drummer/guitarist Steve Asheim to discuss the band's new record, whether they will tour in support of the new material and his thoughts on the Hoffman brothers.

The following is an excerpt:

Quote:
Q: Given all the things that have happened to Glen in recent years, could you have chosen any other title for the album than Till Death Do Us Part?

A: (Laughs) "I don't think so. You know, lyrics and titles is kind of his department, so I know where he's coming from, he's a double meaning type of guy. Especially, he loves to play on words and stuff like that. And like you said, knowing his recent past and what's kinda going on with him, this was almost an obvious, a blatantly obvious choice for topics and titles."

Q: Okay cool. Did Glen derive all his inspiration for his lyrics on the new album from that kind of thing or did he also look elsewhere? (Note- interview was conducted prior to receiving a lyric sheet for the new album).

A: "They pretty much all are. It's weird, because you'll hear a lot of people who slag off Glen: 'Oh, he's that Satanic bastard, the same old thing and this and that and the other'. That's pretty typical of what you hear, right? Meanwhile... he's certainly known for blaspheming and the Satanic image that goes hand in hand with the band name and with him. This time around, he is not quite so blasphemous in the anti-God, anti-religious sense, but he is still incredibly hate-filled, know what I mean? It's just vitriolic, fucking hate. He's never been more hateful I don't think than on his lyrics and vocals on this album."

http://www.pyromusic.net/index.php?p=interviews_interview&interview=Deicide&id=83
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » DEICIDE – TILL DEATH DO US PART

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: