View topic - 06-Angel Rat

Reply to topic
06-Angel Rat

voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 06-Angel Rat
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:39 am    Post subject: 06-Angel Rat Reply with quote

Post your Angel Rat reviews here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
angelrat
Helldriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...why not review this one? At least it's got a cool title.

This album was a shock to many. WHAT HAPPENED? Short, catchy songs? A slick production? A diversion from the infamous concept? All of this: YEAH!

But look further...

When listening to this album over and over again, it began to grow on me like some sort of tumor. I remember moments at my work shortly after I got this album, simply unable getting this melodies out of my head.

Not all of the songs are equally great, by the way, I always had some trouble getting past songs like 'Twin Dummy' and 'None of the Above'. This, However, is satisfactionally compensated by some killer songs, especially:
'Panorama', wonderful opening track, the most catchy Voivod track ever?
'Clouds in my House', once described as pop music...if pop music sounded like this, I would watch MTV 24 hours a day.
'Angel Rat', the beautifully haunting title track, one of their most underestimated songs. Ever.
My favourite track, however, is 'Nuage Fractal'. It's the most typical Voivod composition on the album, sudden changes and a truly killer guitar riff.

Critizism? 'F course! There are some moments I think the album sounds much too overproduced. I miss the Blower Bass sound which I was really accustomed to and I also would have preferred a more 'organic' drum sound. But this is simply my opinion (who cares anyway?).

After all, 'Angel Rat' is just another amazing album by this unearthly band.
l0ud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Twin Dummy" and "None Of The Above" are excellent songs, simplicity doesn't mean lesser quality, does it?
(although I have to admit that the classic Voivod of "Nuage Fractal" is even better ;-)

"Angel Rat" is a truly wonderful album (how many albums by any band can you name that are both progressive and catchy at the same time??).
vortex
Helldriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGEL RAT:This one os ok. Voivod started experimenting again, but I wasn't too excited by this one. It's good, with heavy NOTHINGFACE know-how on the song appraoch, but they started picking up a new attitude. It was a bit weaker in strength, but very strong in technical skill. The vocals are very relaxed and softer. Piggy shines the most on this one. His guitar gets groovier and technically harder (as if it wasn't tough to play already). They really had a happier,spacier theme on this one. My favs are "Panorama".Good and catchy.
colera

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o melhor album do mundo.
a busca da perfeição, do conjunto e da sonoridade eternamente anos luz da realidade.
voivod é algo além da musica e angel rat é a prova final.
disneysdreamdebased

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIVOD- ANGEL RAT

I'm a 32 year old Voivod fan who is relatively new to this forum and i am stunned at the debate regarding this LP- i bought it immediately upon release and was BLOWN AWAY.

I know the overall sound is more glossy and "commercial" but to me that always seemed irrelevant simply due to the fact that Voivod's overall sound (time signatures/guitar sounds/lyrics/sleeve art etc) are so wacked out that they were STILL totally at odds with ANYTHING out there at the time.

THERE WAS NO WAY THEY WERE GOING TO CROSSOVER WITH THIS ALBUM EVER

VOIVOD were/are just toooo much for your average - mainstream metal/music fan.

I got into Voivod via Hardcore and other alternative music (at some point between KT and DH) not strictly via Metal and i always just thought they were a great band regardless of genre.

Original/inventive/uncompromising.

When i flipped the album over (remember vinyl) and Angel Rat faded in I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT, what an awesome piece of music, great abstract lyrics, eerie mood and the final heavy reverb on Snake's vocal is possibly my favourite Voivod moment on ANY record.

But what else PANORAMA/CLOUDS IN MY HOUSE -awesome twisted pop metal- that sounds like NO-ONE ELSE.

THE PROW- great lyrics and that suprise riff at the end of the track is a masterstroke/TWIN DUMMY- great fadeout/BEST REGARDS/NUAGE FRACTAL/GOLEM all superb.

To those who dislike this record that's cool but in my view this record is really the one that puts Voivod WAY ahead of ANY of their contempories-it left most other metal (and Voivod are still Metal) standing.

In a just parallel universe (or should that be MULTI-verse??!!) ANGEL RAT would be cited by critics as one of THE landmark releases, not just in the metal genre but in the wider sphere of MUSIC.

Incidentally after initial disappointment i think the new album is excellent.

DISNEYS DREAM DEBASED

Québécois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 06-Angel Rat Reply with quote

yuri wrote:
Post your Angel Rat reviews here

Ouin...on comprend pas trop ce qui s'est passé....
Qu'est-ce qui arrive les gars...Nothingface vous a-t-il vidé votre jus ???
Qu'est-il arrivé à Blacky ??? Un peu là...mais pas là en même temps ???

Bon, les gars, c'est pas si pourri...quand même
Angel Rat, Clouds in My House, None of the Above....Freedom...
de belles petites pièces...

7/10...honnête

Come on guys...you can do better !!!
code

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fans seem a litle uncertain with Angel Rat. I understand that. But I must say I think its one of their best records. The lyrics are incredible, perhaps Voivods best. I have never heard a band that can create this Mystique and surreal atmoshpere. Its like a journey to another world. The song Angel Rat, wich I think is probably their best song ever, always amaze me even to this day. I dont mind that this album isnt very heavy because its the mysterious beauty of it that really impress me.

Highlights: Panorama, Clouds in my house, Prow, Angel rat, Golem, Nuage Fractal, Freedoom, Twin Dummy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

code wrote:
...The song Angel Rat, wich I think is probably their best song ever, always amaze me even to this day...

Good to know i am not the only one to think that the song Angelrat is the best in the entire album, and one of their best.
It sounds something right out of Syd Barret's book, and that is a very good thing.
Seeate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically agree with 'angelrat''s post above.

On first hearing this album I thought 'oh no! Voivod have gone all hard-rock!'. Interestingly enough I remember reading an interview with the band after the release of Angel Rat, and they mentioned they had been listening to some Def Leppard (!) and AC/DC.
The good thing however, is that Voivod's interpretation of 'hard-rock' is anything but normal on most of the Angel Rat tracks.

'Nuage Fractal' is hands down the best song on the album - one of their all-time classics - great lyrics too. This could have slotted in on the 'Nothingface' ablum quite easily.

Other highlights for me are 'Panorama', 'Clouds in My House', 'Best Regards', 'Angel Rat' and even the quirky 'robot worker' song 'Golem'.

The rest of the tracks are listenable, but not Voivod's best work in my opinion.

It's the most accessible album they have produced however, and will probably appeal more to those who experience this as the first Voivod album ever listened to. I'm sure most fans like myself wo have worshiped earlier releases will be a bit more skeptical regarding Angel Rat's merits.
LSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Nothingface was psychedelic prog metal record, this one shows Voivod in softer version. It shouldn't be surprise really cos since Dimension Hatross band drifted into more melodic style. If you compare Rrroooaaarrr with Nothingface you see how the change was gross. Angel Rat is natural continuation of band's progress. Most songs on Angel Rat sound like Inner Combustion from previous album. In my opinion it was good direction taken. Worth of risk, especially that the analogue production is still light years ahead of today pop pseudo punk bands. This was to everyone who says that this production is lame. For today standards it's mighty! Even then it wasn't bad (that humming drums). I like the mood of this record. It's something like The Beatles Sgt Pepper's but more guitar oriented. Each song is excellent, doesn't matter if we talk about energetic rock and roll of Panorama or monumental psychedelic pop of Angel Rat. The idea of the album was to create less complex stuff but still with those killer riffs of Piggy. I think Voivod did it great. It still remains my favorite. I've known Voivod for 15 years and War And Pain was my first step in listening to band's music. One thing for sure is similar for both albums. Both contain rock and roll. Not too technical but still on the level of the best.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 06-Angel Rat

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: