View topic - Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Reply to topic
Celtic Frost - Monotheist

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Celtic Frost - Monotheist
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Celtic Frost - Monotheist Reply with quote

For over almost two decades I had given up the possibility of Celtic Frost creating anything resembling decent metal music.
Two years ago all my suspicions were confirmed after listening to Tom Warrior's weak showing on the Probot album.
When i heard Celtic Frost were going to release a new album, i chuckled, "twenty years too late" and dismissed the whole thing as a joke, but when i heard my fellow voivod.net reviewer Mr. Bacteria rave about the album, i knew i had to check it out.

So, what does the new 2006 Celtic Frost Monotheist sound like? does it sound like the old school Celtic Frost we know and love?
Monotheist is extremely heavy, as a matter of fact it is heavier in sound than anything the band has released so far.
Twenty years have gone by and digital technology has in no doubt enabled Tom Warrior to create a punishing guitar sound that is extremely heavy without resorting to the standard nu-metal downtuned guitars.
All the original elements of Celtic Frost are there, the atmospheric sounds, the drama, the female vocals, the heavyness, combined with gothic and industrial undertones that in no way overpower the music.
If you like Celtic Frost's early albums, the opening track "Progeny" will bring a smile to your face, and remind you why Celtic Frost were once upon a time one of the most influential metal bands of all time.
The rest of the album has many moods, showing without a doubt that Tom Warrior has expanded his musical vocabulary in all these years of musical silence.

Kudos to Mr. Warrior for not resorting to re-hashing old material like some of the 80' metal bands are doing.. He's created something that still sounds like Celtic Frost and still manages to be new and original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: