View topic - ENSLAVED – ISA

Reply to topic
ENSLAVED – ISA

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » ENSLAVED – ISA
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: ENSLAVED – ISA Reply with quote

ENSLAVED – ISA (CANDLELIGHT RECORDS)

Norway’s Enslaved … not what you think. They started in 1991, playing Black Viking Metal for the horned one and now, well, it’s a fair estimate to say that they’ve taken the Opeth route. Not entirely, they haven’t gone acoustic, but where songs before were tyrannical affairs, on this stunning release they have embraced the vibe of Pink Floyd and injected it with Norwegian winter, making for one very enjoyable listening experience. Piano mingles with sonic landscapes on a 70’s guitar riff over-lapped with modern Black Metal vocals, both screeching and clean – and that’s just the title track.

Mention the term progressive metal and fans will either snub their noses at it or embrace the genre unconditionally. Dream Theatre, Dragonforce, Symphony X … you know what to expect and you usually get what you paid for. This Enslaved album, however, will have you scratching your head on numerous plays, wondering just what the hell you’re listening to. By no means a straight-forward album, this record needs time and patience, and one you have to give your full attention to. Hardly background black metal blasting away in the distance, on Isa you will discover riffs you’ll have missed after repeated plays, and melodic waves that swept unknowingly into your consciousness. The gorgeous ‘Ascension’ is a prime example, sounding almost Tool-ish at their most hypnotic, the keyboard wizardry courtesy of Herbrand Larsen simply stunning.

Progressive black metal - it had to happen sooner or later. Enslaved have created something special, that's for sure. Definately one for the more musical adventurous of you out there.

Evil or Very Mad

Bacteria13.
The Pope

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Dude . . . Couldn't agree more Reply with quote

As soon as heard that Enslaved were releasing this album I began to freak a little. I "discovered" the band with the previous album Below the Lights and had the same general reaction. It took me a few listens to get what was going on, because there truly is a ton of stuff happening from one track to the next. But, it's an amazing trip to listen to. I read one article where the band described Isa as being "cold", or giving the listener the sense of being cold. Personally, I wear a sweater everytime I listen to it.

Kudos, my friend! I'm glad to know I'm not the only Enslaved fan out there.

I'm sooo wasted!

Jeff Spicolli, Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Cyaegha

Location: Toulouse, Capitale de l'Occitanie, du Rugby et de la Violette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo the most interesting Enslaved album. Fans of Isa should also check the Enslaved album named Monumension, which is filled with a lot of psychedelic influences...not unlike some Voivod or Arcturus stuff Cool (in spirit, not in music)

design by www.weepingweb.com : Thanks Vlad!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » ENSLAVED – ISA

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: