View topic - KREATOR - ENEMY OF GOD

Reply to topic
KREATOR - ENEMY OF GOD

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » KREATOR - ENEMY OF GOD
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: KREATOR - ENEMY OF GOD Reply with quote

KREATOR - ENEMY OF GOD (SPV RECORDS)

KREATOR – thrash metal as its best!!! So claims the sticker on the CD case, a bold statement indeed. It probably is, but that would depend on how old you are. Let me explain.
When I was 17-years old, back in 1986, I was a thrash metal fan. Pleasure to Kill, Killing Technology, Eternal Devastation, Darkness Descends, Persecution Mania, Terror Squad, Reign in Blood … this was when thrash metal was the bastard son of heavy metal, adored and despised in equal measure. My fondest memories are of attending gigs, buying vinyl records, reading Mega Metal Kerrang! and Metal Forces, tape-trading, drinking with fellow long-haired pals discussing and dissecting the latest releases. Great days.
Forward to 2001. I’m trading with a 19-year old German thrasher. We’re discussing thrash metal, and he remarks that though he enjoys Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, et al, he prefers their new recordings to the 80’s releases. The production on those records was crappy, he said, matter-of-factly. That same week I saw an article in the UK’s Metal Hammer – Albums you must own! – it was Master of Puppets by Metallica.
I’m getting fucking old, I thought …

But it’s not just me. Friends and other ‘old-school thrashers’ who still enjoy those ‘80’s classics aren’t too fond of the latter-day releases of those bands we went nuts over between 1984 and 1990. Destruction has had three ‘come-back’ albums since their reunion, solid records all but not classics by any means. Sodom has always been a hit-or-miss affair; their last decent record was ‘99’s Code Red. Death Angel’s The Art of Dying was a disappointing rehash of old ideas. The exception to the rule was last year’s Tempo of the Damned by Exodus. And I expect BIG things from a Lombardo-driven Slayer.

So onto Kreator and their latest offering, Enemy of God. Basically building on 2001’s Violent Revolution, the German quartet, led by Millie Petrozza have produced a damn good thrash metal album as you’re going to hear in 2005. With Andy Sneap behind the scenes he has given Kreator a huge boost, at least sonically. The album sounds massive; it will rightly sell by the bucket-load (if only because kids today can’t listen to those ‘vintage’ ‘80’s records).
Yet, it has grown on me, and not the unmemorable shite I thought of it when I first put it on. There are tasty solos, some pretty catchy, heavy riffs (‘Murder Fantasies'), and Ventor’s drumming has come on leaps and bounds, he redeeming himself as a damn good drummer. Any chance of him singing a few more tunes, though?

The title track is a pretty chaotic number, storming with menace from the get-go, destined, no doubt, to be a mosh-pit favorite. This leads into ‘Impossible Brutality’, equally manic; Ventor’s tribal drumming leading the faithful out to war. Millie’s voice does tend to get on my wick now and then, especially on the cringe-worthy ‘Dying Race Apocalypse’ – Jesus, as he screeches APOC-A-LYPSE!, it’s enough to curdle milk.

All-in-all, Enemy of God is a powerful thrash metal album that should win them more fans than lose them disgruntled old-schoolers like myself. Still sounding more like Arch Enemy than Arch Enemy themselves, nevertheless, this is sound of thrash metal in 2005.

Whether we like it or not.

Evil or Very Mad or Confused (depending)

Bacteria13.
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
KREATOR - "Enemy Of God Tour Most Successful In Years" [Hot Flashes - 05.02.16 12:42:45]

According to a message posted at German thrashers KREATOR's official website, their current Enemy Of God tour is the "most successful tour in years. Sold out shows all over Europe! Due to the great ticket sales, the show on February 20th (in Oberhausen, Germany) will move from the T-Club to the Turbinenhalle. On the 24th in Nuernberg the show will move from the Hirsch to the Loewensaal."

Finally, the band report that their latest album, Enemy Of God, is still climbing the Swedish charts. Last week #72, this week #50.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » KREATOR - ENEMY OF GOD

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: