View topic - FATES WARNING - X

Reply to topic
FATES WARNING - X

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » FATES WARNING - X
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: FATES WARNING - X Reply with quote

The tenth studio album (hence the name 'X') by this pioneering Prog-Metal band is finally here.

Ever since Fates Warning's rebirth on their 1997 album 'A Pleasant Shade of Gray' the band seems to be moving along the Pink Floyd songwriting axis, where songs and sound have taken precedence over musical chops and mindless solos. 'X' is the next step along the path.
Long gone are the pressures to write catchy songs, the need to prove their musical skills.

At this stage on FW's musical career, it is pointless to say that the album sounds great, and the musicianship is impressive.

The slow, pensive, quasi-ambient sonic landscapes found in 'APSOG' and 'Disconnected' are combined in 'X' with less emphasis on Kevin Moore's groundbreaking keyboard work and the addition of few new sonic elements.

It is almost a crime to label this sometimes haunting, sometimes mellow, sometimes heavy album, "Prog-Metal"
These guys are on a league of their own, and defy categorizations.
Let's call it 'Thinking man's heavy music'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to buy this one.

Hope it ain't any buggs on it........ Very Happy Wink
wanja
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I just have to buy this one.

Hope it ain't any buggs on it........ Very Happy Wink

hey how did I become a guest, second time it's happens. It only happens here at the album reviews section!

ah, nevermind, no big deal.
Gonna buy it for sure!

*suckin' up to the mod aint I?* Razz Very Happy j/kiddin'

cheers anyway lads! Cool Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: FWX Is Astonishing Reply with quote

Yuri,

Totally concur with your thoughts on FWX. I'm blown away by it. If you like, you can read my detailed thoughts on it at:

http://www.electricbasement.com/absolutenm/templates/review.asp?articleid=146&zoneid=16

Dean
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: FWX Is Astonishing Reply with quote

Dean Loftis wrote:
Yuri,

Totally concur with your thoughts on FWX. I'm blown away by it. If you like, you can read my detailed thoughts on it at:

http://www.electricbasement.com/absolutenm/templates/review.asp?articleid=146&zoneid=16

Dean

Hi Dean
I and many other fans consider 'Disconnected' to be possibly FW's best album.
One time i was driving back to NYC a model and opera trained singer who is not into metal, and i was playing 'Disconnected' in the car and she asked me what it was and how awesome it was.

Good music produces such reactions on people regardless on whether it is 'prog metal' or whatever label you want to put it in.

and while we may disagree in our opinions about 'Disconnected,' we can both sing the praises of 'FWX'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » FATES WARNING - X

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: