View topic - PIG DESTROYER – PAINTER OF DEAD GIRLS

Reply to topic
PIG DESTROYER – PAINTER OF DEAD GIRLS

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » PIG DESTROYER – PAINTER OF DEAD GIRLS
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: PIG DESTROYER – PAINTER OF DEAD GIRLS Reply with quote

PIG DESTROYER – PAINTER OF DEAD GIRLS (ROBOTIC EMPIRE RECORDS)

This best of /compilation album came out earlier in the year but I only picked it up recently. Washington DC’s Pig Destroyer is one of those rare bands that strangely appeals to you even though you’re not too keen on the particular genre they’re from.
Noisy poets would be the term I’d use to describe this trio. Musically they consist of drums and guitar, and no bassist. They feel they don’t need one. You can’t tell anyway. 2001’s ground-breaking ‘Prowler in the Yard’ is a stunning example of what the primitive use of simple drums, guitar and a lot of shouting can achieve (though there is a bassist on some of the tracks on offer here). Songs wise, there’s not really much to differentiate any given track, as they are pretty much carbon copies of themselves. Occasionally you’d hear the odd hook here, the odd memorable riff there that perhaps will get your foot tapping. Alas, there’s no air-guitar mimicry – these songs are Grindcore-fast and don’t defer off that path, baby.
No, what makes these guys special is the lyrics/dark poetry of vocalist J.R. Hayes. Disturbing only begins to tap the surface of this guy’s psychotic imagination. Take the title track for example, typed as they appear on the lyric sheet:

I see the pale girl in a red dress on the stairs of a sinking mansion her siblings take me to her sometimes they say she’s my ghost sent back to rape this body and that I’m a painter of dead girls sleeping with the same vultures that tear the flesh from my inspiration she comes to me obscured a distant figure in the rainfall

‘Painter of Dead Girls’ also comes with three cover versions, namely ‘Down in the Streets’ by The Stooges (!) ‘Fuck you up and get High’ by the Dwarves, and the classic ‘In the Meantime’, by Helmet (making that particular song covered twice in one year, the other by Soulfly). This is a dainty little release that will tie me over nicely until I get my hands on the recently released PD album, ‘Terrifyer’

Would I recommend Pig Destroyer to the average Heavy Metal fan? I’d love to, for they are without a doubt one of the world’s most extreme bands playing today and constantly pushing the envelope of musical boundaries and tolerance.
Doesn’t mean they’d like ‘em, though.

Twisted Evil

Bacteria13.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » PIG DESTROYER – PAINTER OF DEAD GIRLS

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: