View topic - CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT

Reply to topic
CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT Reply with quote

CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT (DRT ENTERTAINMENT)

Excluding Voivod, if ever there was a band who were respected by bands and fans alike of the countless Metal genres out there, from Power Metal to Black Metal to Cannibalistic Nuclear Grindcore, it would be Clutch. The simple fact is that Clutch Rock with a capital R, and if you need further proof then simply give 'Blast Tyrant' a spin.
The album opens with typical Clutch groove, an almost Blues rock-out called 'Mercury', before winding down (literally) to give way to the full-on 'Profits of Doom', and trust me, if this doesn't have you at least nodding your head in appreciation then there is seriously something wrong with you.
Sonically, this is the best sounding record that the band, Tim Sult, guitar, Jean-Paul Gaster, drums, Dan Maines, bass, and Neil Fallon, vocals, have produced. A mere four-piece, on tracks such as '(notes from the trial of) La Curandera' it sounds as if there's 10 of 'em. It comes hard on the heels of last year's 'Slow Hole to China', a collection of rare and unreleased tracks that put most bands' full-length albums to shame. On that album we had the addictive 'Sea of Destruction', contender for the Greatest Riff Ever Written, here we have 'The Mob goes wild', a track destined to become a live favorite - it just bounces all over the place. I've been fortunate to see Clutch live twice and I can only imagine how this cracker will go over.
Lyrically Clutch doesn't disappoint, as anyone who knows of Neil Fallon's almost prophetic lyrics: 'When I die you can cut me up and take all that you please/But pity the poor dumb fool who gets my bleeding spleen' - 'Spleen Merchant', or 'Waiting for a dead man's shoes/Have you heard the latest news? Lazarus is back from the dead/Looking as one would expect.' Genius.
Elsewhere we have the Southern influenced 'The Regulator', the boldest track of Clutch's career. This thing starts off like some Lynyrd Skynyrd ballad, before slowly building menacingly to a jaw-dropping mini-epic not heard since 'Big News I & II' off their self-titled 1995 album.
If you are familiar with Clutch then I am merely preaching to the converted, for 'Blast Tyrant' is quite possibly the best album Clutch have graced us with. If, however, you have sadly never heard Clutch, then do yourself a huge favor and rush out and beg, borrow or steal this album. You will thank me for it.

Very Happy

Bacteria13.

Last edited by Bacteria13 on Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:45 pm; edited 4 times in total
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, i am not familiar with Clutch, but i did enjoy this album.
Listening to it, is like going through a well versed catalog of 70s good metal. Think groovy, funky 70's based metal.
A few bands came to mind when listening to this "Blast Tyrant": Spiritual Beggars, Fu-Manchu and specially Monster Magnet; but Clutch covers so much ground in this album, that it is very hard to categorize.

Recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool interview with vocalist Neil Fallon:

http://rockcircustv.com/rcpages/clutchint.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT Reply with quote

Bacteria13 wrote:

CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT (DRT ENTERTAINMENT)

'The Mob goes wild', a track destined to become a live favorite - it just bounces all over the place. I've been fortunate to see Clutch live twice and I can only imagine how this cracker will go over.
If you are familiar with Clutch then I am merely preaching to the converted, for 'Blast Tyrant' is quite possibly the best album Clutch have graced us with. If, however, you have sadly never heard Clutch, then do yourself a huge favor and rush out and beg, borrow or steal this album. You will thank me for it.

Bacteria13.

Just seen the video "The Mob Goes Wild" Very Happy Thanks "bacteria".

I've just been converted into a Clutch fan.

"There is no going back......" Cool
wanja
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Rolling Eyes

What happened? How did I become a "Guest"? Confused

Well anyway, the post above is mine.
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » CLUTCH - BLAST TYRANT

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: