View topic - ICED EARTH – THE GLORIOUS BURDEN

Reply to topic
ICED EARTH – THE GLORIOUS BURDEN

voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » ICED EARTH – THE GLORIOUS BURDEN
« View next topic »
Bacteria13
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: ICED EARTH – THE GLORIOUS BURDEN Reply with quote

ICED EARTH – THE GLORIOUS BURDEN (SPV RECORDS)

This record has caused quite a stir since its initial release, on one hand because it sees the singing debut of ex-Judas Priest vocalist ‘Ripper’ Owens, but most notably because of its (hinting) pro-American stance on world politics today. Now, no matter where you live on this planet of ours, you (should) have a voice when certain issues arise, for whether you like it or not, American politics = world politics, and vice versa. Iced Earth, or rather main man Jon Schaffer, has voiced his, penning an album that, either due to democratic fanaticism or simply due to bad timing has made a lot of people feel uncomfortable, and not the first time for a Heavy Metal album.
Yet, before you get your bloomers in a twist there is a time and a place for everything; I am not going to argue/preach politics here. I am going to look at the theme of this album and judge it on its musical merit, even ‘that’ troublesome song.
The track in question is ‘When the eagle cries’, a ballad which reflects on the tragedy that was 911. Schaffer has stressed that TGB is a ‘historical’ album, rather than a ‘political’ one. Fair enough, but once the shit hit the fan with 911, one cannot write a song such as ‘When the eagle cries’ in the present political climate and not expect criticism. Yet, if I may, the song is crap. An over-sentimental, below-average, cringe-worthy ballad that some eighties cock-rocker could have written in a drug-induced delirium. It’s embarrassing, as is the first half of this album, so-called historical epics regarding events and famous figures. ‘Declaration Day’, ‘Greenface’, ‘Red Baron/Blue Max’, ‘Valley Forge’ … these are piss-poor efforts from a band that once gave us the classic ‘Dark Saga’ and ‘Night of the Stormrider’ albums. If this record was released as this alone, without the 32-minute plus ‘Gettysburg’, this would be not so much a come-back album as a go-away album. I’ve listened and listened to this but I can’t seem to put my finger where the problem lies, whether it’s the lackluster production, or even the acquired vocals of ‘Ripper’ Owens, but something’s not right, and these songs reflect that.
However, its saving grace is the aforementioned ‘Gettysburg’, divided into three parts, and as epic and jaw-dropping as you will have read and heard about. Telling the tragic tale of the defining battle of the American Civil War (more Americans died in this war than the Vietnam conflict) Schaffer pulls no punches in recounting this in musical form, and it’s absolutely stunning. Sound effects, the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, the musicianship, and Owens, sounding like a session singer on disc one, is outstanding in retelling this event. ‘Gettysburg’ will be discussed and praised by Iced Earth fans and non-fans alike for many years to come.
As will, for one reason or another, ‘The Glorious Burden’.

Smile for 'Gettysburg', Sad for the rest.

Bacteria13.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Album Reviews » ICED EARTH – THE GLORIOUS BURDEN

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: