View topic - 13-Voivod

Reply to topic
13-Voivod

voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 13-Voivod
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: 13-Voivod Reply with quote

Post your Voivod reviews here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
LivingEvil
Helldriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best album of the year...and the grammy goes to Voivod for best metal album!
JDK147

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"****"- This fucking albums is fucking incredible. I cant wait for the next one.
spiritual void

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good CD in my opinion. It has a great flow to it and the songs are in perfect order. Love the way "Real Again" blends into "Rebel Robot". My only complaint would be the lack of guitar solos.

[This message has been edited by spiritual void (edited March 09, 2003).]
sabine0804

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Jason's opinion about Voivod, I bought a "Best Of" sampler last year, I even got a 3 track (Gasmask Revival, Rebel Robot and We Carry On)promo cd from the chophouse for xmas - but NOTHING prepared me for this album!
10 seconds of "Facing Up", my mouth fell open and I was literally blown into another galaxy!!!

I mean, I'm neither a natural born metalhead nor very much into scienc fiction. It took me 7 years to move from Queen to Metallica, and then another 12 months before I was able to really appreciate and enjoy even their "worst" Marshall noise.

But the lyrics on "Voivod" grabbed me immediatelly, because it's not the "star wars" type of sci-fi but more like "1984" or "A Clockwork Orange" or some other old science fiction classics, which use a future world or a foreign universe to describe in fact very human dreams and nightmares of today's life on planet earth.
And Snake's voice and the music illustrate those stories PERFECTLY! I really didn't expect a guitar band to create this sound like coming from outer space, I always thought that you need synthesizers and/or computers to do this.

Meanwhile I've found all these virtues also on "Dimension Hatröss", and that won't be my last album!
In short: this is way beyond "let's see what Jason is up to these days"; I've discovered a new favorite band, one of those rare ones you come across every 10 years or so...
lurch70

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool review Sabine ...

I have been a Voivod fan since 1985 when I saw Rooooaaarr sitting on a shelf in a record store and it looked fucked up and crazy enough to make me buy it. Was always into them ... but was never a huuuge fan.

I must say that the power and intensity of the new record had made me dust off all the old ones and purchase all the missing ones from my collection.

Now that I am 32 their music makes more sense to me and I like it more than ever. Cannot explain why, maybe it is the times we live in, but they are my new favorite band.

As far as the new record, next to KILLING TECHNOLOGY this is the best release for me. Not a filler track in sight and there is an up-beat, happy kinda, beat your neighbor, kinda of real groove to it.

See THE MULTIVERSE and DIVINE SUN for further proof.
Levitation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st listen: disappointment, 2nd: quite good, 3rd: pretty great 4th: stunning..Again another brilliant album by Voïvod, and none of the albums sound the same yet they are typical Voïvod. Welcome back Snake! And welcome Jasonic! Still, not their best album, but another superb one! The sound is killing! The songs are killing!
Mr. Hatross

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: One of the better albums of 2003 Reply with quote

Thanks to the metal gods Snake is back in the band! I really love the tracks: Rebel Robot, The Multiverse, Gasmask Revival, Reactor, We Carry On.....

A link to the full review is in the signature below.
RedEft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fairly disappointed on the first listen, and it has slowly grown on me like all Voivod albums have. However, even though I have grown to like it now, it is not one of their top 4 albums in my opinion. The songs are definitely a leaner, drier version of Voivod and while it's very good, it's just not as cool as past Voivod efforts. It's more like a watered-down version of Voivod and the production of this album does little to distinguish them from other acts. Negatron and Phobos were more progressive overall, if not more aesthetically pleasing.

It's great to hear Snake back on vox, but I sure wish he'd been more creative in his delivery. There are virtually no effects on the vocals at all, and I think while Eric's vocals were harsh and inferior compared to Snake's, Eric was always very creative with the sound effects. I don't think such a straight-forward vocal delivery compliments Snake's vocals in the end. Away's drumming is solid as ever, as is his artwork and concepts. Jasonic does the job nicely though I can't think of one bass highlight in my head as I type this...not that I think he's incapable of playing memorable bass, I just think the whole band is guilty of playing a more generic style of music on this particular effort. Piggy's guitar tone is pure bliss as always, but even he seems to have fallen into this "dry" version of Voivod. Gone are the lush guitar soundscapes or otherwordly solos (for the most part) and effects.

Now, before people think I'm dissing the band or whatever, let me tell you what I think is going to happen: I think this lineup is solid (perhaps it will prove to be the best yet) and the next album is going to be brilliant. Hopefully they move back into the progressive/conceptual direction which distinguished them in the first place and I really think they will. I cannot wait. Thank god that Jasonic was there to pull these guys from the wreckage and get another album out. I dunno if I could have lived and died a full and happy life with Phobos as the last of the Voivod chronicles.

There are some very good songs on this album (Divine Sun, Invisible Planet, Strange and Ironic) but there are also some fillers.

Ok guys, glad to see you're all back and ready to go...now please, hit us with a concept album! Like the "California Dreams" hidden song (After "We Carry On") X 10! Mutate it, twist it, Voivoditize it.
wanja
Hatross Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOIVOD - VOIVOD

This album is awesome.
Snake is back, nobody sing the way he does.
Piggy's still a "demon" on guitar.
Jasonic is, as you all know, just great on bass.
Away! Wow, I like to watch him on the "studio sessions" at chophouse, when he "tunes" the drumkit. He is just an awesome drummer.

The album is great; the whole sound, the beat , lyrics, everything.
The earlier Voivod albums had a kind of "sci-fi" concept. I think this album is more about how we live "here and now", the real world, the things we have to "put up" with; such as the nature getting polluted, war, the "media circus", the fears about the future for our planet.

From the track "Blame us"
.........on the planet , blame us
In my time, we didn't care enough
In my time..........

And the lyrics from "We carry on", sound like a statement:
So we are ready for more adventures......................
This is out time
This is our song
This is our lives
We Carry On.

I think Voivod is a extreamly talented band that really cares and dare write lyrics about the world we live in today, when most people seems to expect a more sci-fi approach from them. So I'll say; Hats off for voivod!

VOIVOD LIVES! They Carry On! Voivod is in the Now!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Back to top
code

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was blown away by this album the first time I heard the songs. Mostly cause it was wonderful and enchanting to hear Snake again. But after I have listened to it many many times now I think the record is a bit empty. Too few Guitars, too few harmonies, no effects on vocals or weird sfx. Its too plain. Snakes vox rule but they are mixed bad. This album takes the hardest blow production wise wich is sad. Still. Its a very good album with some killer songs. Voivod is back after all but I think their next album will be even better.

Highlights: Gasmask revival, Facing up, Blame us, Divine Sun, Invisible Planet, Strange and Ironic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
Seeate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I kind of let Voivod slip from earshot when Snake left the band - I figured it just wasn't Voivod anymore without him - and to this day i still haven't listened to Phobos and Negatron (perhaps it's time I did).

For some reason, I started thinking about the band again a few weeks ago, and decided to check to see what they were up to, if anything at all.
Lo and behold I find Snake is back in the fold along with Newsted... 'holy shit!', I exlaimed, and ordered the new album immediately.

Firstly, it's fantastic to hear Voivod return with the metal-driven power of old, and of course Snake leading the charge again.
The sound is raw, aggressive and abrasive - reminding me somewhat of the 'Dimension Hatross' approach.

I have to aggree with RedEft's review for the most part however. The directness of the sound, especially with the vocals (lyrically and fx-wise) dosn't necessarily do justice to the trademark Voivod outer-spatial concept.

The 'concept' behind the album seems to be set in the 'present' - as Snake alluded to in an interview I read recently. It reminds me of a lyric from 'Lost machine' (Outer Limits album) - 'One day will we understand, how much the future is here, right now'. To be honest however, it's difficult to attribute this album with the same type of concepts which earlier albums remain the benchmark for.
It's more like, Snake's got something to get off his chest if you look at the lyrics of 'Blame Us', In your face, uncompromising political commentry, but when you read the words of 'Les Cigares Volants' ... well, it's hardly his best work... 'Flying cigars, the coolest name for UFOs.... makes me high! turns me on!' wtf!!!???.

On the upside there are some great tracks on the album - my favorite is easily 'Divine Sun'. More of this please Voivod!
Also of merit are the songs 'Blame Us', 'Strange and Ironic', 'The Multiverse' and you can't help but admire 'We Carry On'.

Welcome back Voivod - the aggression is back, let's see if it can be channeled towards a more refined and complete sound with the follow up album.
I just noticed in the general forum that Glen Robinson, the producer for Nothingface is signed up to tackle the next album - excellent choice - I believe 'Nothingface' is still the finest work Voivod has given us.
Ktb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I found "Voivod" to be truly interesting. The riffs are freaking awesome, and they remind me of some of my compositions....

And also, I found that in SOME songs(not all of them), some of the riffs sound RATM? Very very good...

I know some people are gonna disagree with me about the RATM thing, but some songs sound a bit "funky" in some parts

............. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Back to top
Rasulo
Helldriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start writing reviews from one of the albums by Voivod mark-3.

This is a sort of comeback album for Voivod and for Snake. The album was released ten years after The Outer Limits and Snake had been absent in the meanwhile. I like The Outer Limits very much, so I hoped that Voivod would have returned to the sound and atmosphere of that album. That didn't happen. Voivod is heavier, darker and muddier. Its sound is far from the clarity of The Outer Limits. Snake sings a lot with a harsh voice, almost as if he had slime in his throat all the time. Overall the sound is less captivating than in the already mentioned last release of Voivod mark-1.

In this album Voivod plays hard rock, the type of stuff that you might expect from middle-aged Voivod. I don't mean it in a bad way, the music is great and groovy, but it seldom reaches the insensity that was present for example on Nothingface almost all the time. The overall quality is good but peak moments are rare and far between. There is stylistic variation from traditionally complex Voivod prog pieces such as The Multiverse to straightforward rock such as We Carry On.

Lyrically Snake continues in the vein of None of the Above and Wrong-way Street from the previous albums. So there are socially conscious lyrics about politics, society, nature and technology. Some personal experiences about being in Voivod are told in I Don't Wanna Wake Up and We Carry On. Pure scifi lyrics are present only in a handful of songs. Les cigars volants doesn't count in because flying cigars seem to be a thinly veiled reference to smoking weed!

Voivod is a good album with some highlights. It ranks just below the top-3 in my list of favorites.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 13-Voivod

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: