View topic - 04-Dimension Hatross

Reply to topic
04-Dimension Hatross

voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 04-Dimension Hatross
« View next topic »
yuri
Who'sGOD Who'sDOG?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: 04-Dimension Hatross Reply with quote

Post your Dimension Hatross reviews here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
vortex
Helldriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIMENSION HATROSS:The MOST MEMORABLE and one of the MOST POPULAR of the Voivod albums. I LOVE THIS ONE!!!!! I thinks it's safe to say that this one had to be the one that SET THE STANDARD for the Voivod sound. It holds all their influences and traits from all the previous efforts along with a heavy sci-fi edge. You can hear it in the riffage, sound effects, vocals, and in the beats. Away really did good on this one. I think this one shows off his skill to the best. Snake's vocal change from the traditional thrash rash, but still very brutal! THIS WAS THEIR PEAK ALBUM ON THE DARKER SIDE OF THE MOON.My favs are
(the entire thing.it's my favorite one)
"Tribal Convictions", Epilogue..Macrosolutions to MegaProblems","Psychic Vacuum", and the Batman theme song. This album is GREAT!!!!Very,Very Sci-Fi!!
DOVIOV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"DIMENSION HATROSS" IS MY FAVORITE VOIVOD ALBUM,TOO.ALL SONGS ARE GREAT.THE MUSIC,THE LYRICS,THE PRODUCTION,THE ARTWORK,e.t.c.A COMPLETED CONCEPT ALBUM!!!ESPECIALLY,"TRIBAL CONVICTIONS" IS MY FAVORITE SONG,EVER!!!

"WHO'S GOD,WHO'S DOG"
psychopainter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recording caused me to rethink my own musical direction, changed my song writing approach, influenced my approach to my instrument and vocals, changed the way I wrote lyrics and as I listened to this recording for the first time in a sprint from Florida to New Mexico and listened to nothing but that recording during that very long two day drive by the time I got there it was drilled so deep in my mind I am certain it shaped me as a person in many ways because I found that when I got to where I was going my consciouness had changed quite and bit and I felt like living in the future as opposed the the moment or past and have lived and thought like that ever since. In many ways I am reaching a point in my life where my personal growth is in a key position just as it was in those days and something tells me that with the return of Snake and the very exciting addition of Newstead on bass I am thinking that the Multiverse is going to be the next Dimension Hatross in terms of its impact on my consciousness, musical direction and the music scene in general because VOIVOD has always been under appreciated by the general public and never achieved the household name status the vastly inferior in my view Matallica did. There can be no doubt that every living soul on the PLANET that is a Metallica fan this time around is going to go out and buy VOIVODS MULTIVERSE due to the addition of Newstead and due to Metallicas well known irresponsiblity in regards to the NAPSTER fiasco, and their recent lackluster recordings I feel VOIVOD will finally have the respect and fame they more than deserve and it's about damn time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Back to top
shroomer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am pursuing a phd in physics due, in large part, to this album.
markuss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately THE best Voivod effort to date. I like all of Voivod's tunes, but the feel on this one is astronomical. This was the first tour that I saw in 1988. AWESOME!
Climhazzard
Helldriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When checking out Tool-like bands one day, I became intrigued by a name: Voivod. It sounded dimensional, yet enlightening to those who risked trying it and finding it. And so, I embarked on a journey to find out more about this strange machine. Thus far, I have experienced only the tip of the iceberg: I have “War and Pain”. “Dimension Hatross” and “Nothingface”. After hearing and loving “War and Pain”, I knew I had to find out more about this ethereal band. While realising early on that they weren’t just another Tool- like band, I was compelled to try and find out just what kind of band they are. And so, I purchased two of their albums: “Dimension Hatross” and “Nothingface”. I haven’t even listened to “Nothingface” fully yet, but this wasn’t from self-restraint; it was because I simply couldn’t stop listening to “Dimension Hatross”. And here’s why…

The distortion waves, circles around your room, and you enter Dimension Hatross. Experiment explodes into a chugging riff, and then ignites into a killer speed riff that only the Vod could create. A thrash band they were before this, but in 1988, they became the solitary thrash band that thought. No one ever heard intelligent metal, but no one but the Iron Gang had heard of Voivod at that stage. And so those lucky enough to have heard the album at the time of release were spellbound by the most individual, challenging, and surreal metal album on the planet. And, fourteen years later, an eighteen-year-old Irishman has been spellbound in a similar fashion. Wow. This is an utterly amazing album. Everything about it is fascinating; the cover artwork, the lyrics, the story, the titles…and of course, the music. I have never heard any sounds so thoughtful and complete as that in this album: the slugging power of Tribal Convictions, the title rant in Macrosolutions to Megaproblems, the wicked riff after Snake rasps: “Emotive Synergy” in Brain Scan. I could go on, in particular about my favourite track, Cosmic Drama, but words mean nothing when trying to describe such an album. Unlike other c.d.’s, this is one that a person cant simply listen to, every listen is an experience. Not once now, in the short time that I’ve had this album have I just put on a song. You just can’t do it. Certainly, all the tracks are individually strong, but the album is only true when listened to as a whole. And, in my opinion, that’s where this album succeeds where many others don’t: it’s not simply an album; it is an opus. A space odyssey, a cosmic soundtrack, whatever you want to call it, it cant be defined as just an album. But what is it? Is there an answer? Perhaps to some advanced fans of the band, they have a macrosolution to the complex entity that is “the Voivod”, but I never want to know or understand it, even if the band themselves told me about it. I want to remain wondering in awe about the Vod. I don’t want to leave Dimension Hatross. I don’t wish I knew the one who knows…

“Dimension Hatross” 10/10

…FIN…

P.S. Even though it doesn’t have shit to do with the album, the version of Batman rocks!
Levitation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being introduced to Voïvod through the brilliant Killing Technology, I thought they couldn't top that album...they did! Dimension Hatröss is by far their best album. Every track is superb. The atmosphere is incredible..Snake's voice is fascinating...everything is perfect on this one! And to remind you..this album was released in 1988 and is still ahead of its time even in 2003! Dimension Hatröss is a once in a lifetime experience!
Québécois

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 04-Dimension Hatross Reply with quote

yuri wrote:
Post your Dimension Hatross reviews here

Premier chef d'oeuvre du groupe.
Un son impeccable. Des composition d'une qualité impensable...
De l'innovation à en revendre...

Experiment - Tribal Conviction - Chaosmongers - Cosmic Drama
Mes 4 coups de coeurs.

La voix de Snake est superbe. Les guitares sont dangereusement bonnes. Mon Dieu, dans mon top 20 des meilleurs disques de tous les temps.

10/10 (on passe directement dans le monde des grands)
code

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimension Hatröss is Voivods most important record and probably their best, along with The Outer Limits. I was into many trash bands in 88 and I still remeber the first time I heard Tribal Convictions. Cause this song was my ticket into Voivod. After hearing this song I bought the record asap. I went home and listened to it and went on a musical trip I had never experienced before. This record is when Voivod mastered their sound. And the directions they took from this sound with their later records like Nothingface, angel rat and Outer limits was extremely interesting and wonderful in their own ways. Dimension Hatröss. A very important milestone in musical history.

Highlights: Experiment, Tribal, Chaosmongers, Macrosolutions, Brain Scan, Cosmic Drama
Seeate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimension Hatross

This was the very first Voivod album I bought (In the early 90s).
I hadn't even heard them or heard of them before. I saw this album on the shelf - looked it over - noticed the strange artwork along with the equally strange song titles and thought 'I have to give this a listen'.

At first I didn't know what to make of it all - but the more I kept it in my walkman and began studying the lyrics the more it grew on me.
And before long I was a huge fan.

I think the reason I liked it so much was because it was so different from every other 'metal/thrash' band around at the time. Piggy's guitar-work is simply unique, he has a style he can call his very own and most of the time I can't even begin to figure out what the hell those chords are he is playing, let alone the solos!

With Dimension Hatross, Voivod mastered the art of the concept album. And while most critics especially still love to shun anything to do with a band creating a 'concept album' - Voivod gave the commercial recording industry the big FU and produced their abstract brand of futuristic storytelling for people who don't give a shit about trends or how to play by the rules as far as 'rock music' is concerned.

As for favorites - I love the whole album - but stand out tracks for me are 'Tribal Convictions', 'Chaosmongers' and 'Brain Scan'.

This album is a must for anyone interested in Voivod.
Page 1 of 1 Display posts from previous:   
voivod.net Forum Index » Voivod Album Fan Reviews » 04-Dimension Hatross

Reply to topic
» All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Jump to: